Over the past two years, Ross Feller Casey’s status as the leading medical malpractice law firm in Philadelphia and throughout Pennsylvania was solidified by an astonishing record of success.
In that period, the firm, on behalf of its individual clients, recovered more than $400 million, including record-setting medical malpractice settlements and verdicts.
Founding partner Robert Ross won a remarkable $44.1 million verdict in April 2016 on behalf of a woman who suffered a brain injury as a result of medical malpractice at a top Philadelphia hospital. According to The Legal Intelligencer, it’s the largest medical malpractice verdict in Pennsylvania in 2016, and more than twice that of the biggest medical malpractice law verdict in the state for all of 2015 (read about the case).
Other recent recoveries in major medical malpractice lawsuits include:
- $29 million for a brain-injured child
- $26.3 million for a man who suffered a spinal cord injury as a result of medical malpractice
- $20 million for a man who suffered a brain injury due to a delay in diagnosing a stroke
- $17.8 million for a medical malpractice case that resulted in an amputation
- $14 million for neurological injuries caused by medical malpractice
- $9 million for an anesthesia error
- $8.5 million for neurologic injuries
It wasn’t an anomaly.
Ross Feller Casey has won numerous landmark cases each year since it was formed. The impressive track record of Ross Feller Casey attorneys includes some of the largest verdicts and settlements of their kind in Pennsylvania history, from $85 million for a man who suffered spinal cord injuries, to $51 million for a boy whose foot was amputated.
Studies estimate that as many as 440,000 Americans die each year from preventable hospital errors, making medical negligence the third leading cause of death in the nation. What is considered medical malpractice? It can result from any number of causes, including improper use of a medical device, surgical error, hospital-based infections, and misdiagnosis or failure to treat in a timely manner. It’s not only the result of doctor errors, negligent nursing is a problem, too.
In fact, a recent study by the Institute for Medicine found that most Americans will suffer from a wrong or late diagnosis from a doctor at least once in their lifetime, often with tragic results.
The complex nature of such cases underscores the need for hiring the best medical malpractice lawyers in Philadelphia to handle your case.
Ross Feller Casey is uniquely qualified to litigate the most intricate medical malpractice lawsuits, in part because of our team of leading Ivy League trained and educated physicians — one of whom is also a lawyer — who help legally diagnose and care for medical malpractice cases from their inception.
Together, they have decades of medical experience and are recognized experts in fields as diverse as transplant and trauma surgery, obstetrics and gynecology and internal medicine. And they have practiced medicine at some of the world’s finest institutions, from Harvard to Children’s Hospital of Boston to Cambridge University and Mount Sinai Medical Center.
The Philadelphia medical malpractice lawyers at Ross Feller Casey handle cases throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and the nation, and have achieved a remarkable record of results.
Founding partner Matt Casey won a $23.1 million verdict in Lehigh County for a 55-year-old woman who lost both her legs as a result of medical negligence. The case involved a home care nurse who failed to properly evaluate and timely report an infected catheter resulting in a life-threatening bloodstream infection. The verdict was among the highest in Pennsylvania for a medical malpractice case over the past decade (read about this case).
Founding partner Robert Ross won a $22 million verdict after convincing a New Jersey jury that a woman suffered cardiac arrest, a loss of oxygen to her brain, and, consequently, brain damage as a result of waiting for a blood transfusion during child birth (read about this case).
In a case that drew widespread media coverage, founding partner Joel J. Feller recovered $6 million for the parents of a 17-year-old girl who died as a result of medical negligence after undergoing a routine tonsillectomy.
After the uncomplicated outpatient surgery, nurses in the post-anesthesia care unit at Abington Surgical Center had given Mariah Edwards a potent narcotic and failed to monitor her condition for more than 25 minutes. During that time, her condition worsened and was unobserved by nurses. Mariah as a result suffered respiratory arrest and hypoxic brain injury. She died 15 days later (read about this case).
Other noteworthy medical malpractice lawsuit victories include:
- $25 million verdict in a death case involving a routine fertility procedure
- $20.8 million verdict for a woman whose foot was amputated
- $18.4 million verdict for a child who suffered a stroke
- $15 million verdict for a boy who suffered a brain injury following heart surgery
- $10 million verdict for pediatric malpractice
- $10 million recovery for a brain injury in a medical malpractice case
- $9.3 million recovery for a woman paralyzed during an embolization procedure
- $6.4 million verdict in a death case involving emergency room malpractice
- $6.25 million recovery for a 70-year-old man
- $6 million recovery in a death case involving emergency room malpractice
Ross Feller Casey is currently representing several adults and young children throughout Pennsylvania who were victims of a delay in diagnosing meningitis, a potentially life-altering inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord. Learn More
The firm also is the region’s recognized leader in malpractice lawsuits involving medical errors that occur in emergency rooms Learn More, and has won multi-million recoveries for the parents of children who were injured after swallowing button batteries. Learn More
The Philadelphia malpractice attorneys at Ross Feller Casey handle cases on a contingency basis, so there will never be a cost to you unless there is a financial recovery in your case.
If you or a loved one has suffered as a result of medical negligence, one of our medical malpractice attorneys in Philadelphia can assist you in determining if you have a case. Ross Feller Casey offers a free case evaluation to discuss your concerns.
You may still be able to investigate a potential claim even if the injury occurred some time ago, but your time may be running out.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers: Free Consultation
What are your rights? Do you need to speak with a medical malpractice lawyer? Please contact our office to arrange a consultation with a medical malpractice attorney in Philadelphia.
Frequent Questions about Medical Malpractice
- How can I know if I’m a victim of medical malpractice?
- How long after a doctor visit can you sue for malpractice in Pennsylvania?
- What is the surgical malpractice statute of limitations in Pennsylvania?
- What is the hospital malpractice statute of limitations in Pennsylvania?
- How frequent are cases of medical malpractice in Pennsylvania? (according to PA Courts)
- How to pick a personal injury lawyer? How to find medical negligence lawyers?
Learn more in our blog by clicking here.
Also, here are some other things you need to know about medical malpractice.