Is My Son’s Circumcision Injury His Doctor’s Fault?


How To Get Your Free Initial Consultation

To start an evaluation of your case, please complete the form below. The more information you can provide, the better able we will be to determine if we can help you.

We will review the information and let you know by email shortly if we may be able to handle your matter and what the next steps may be.

*This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

After a baby boy is born, parents usually decide quickly about whether to have their new son circumcised. The procedure is typically performed soon after birth for the families that opt to have it done. In the vast majority of cases, circumcision goes well, and there are few, if any, complications that go away on their own or are treated quickly. So there is no lasting injury to the baby. Unfortunately, there are also rare cases in which significant complications arise that can have long-term effects. They may need corrective surgery or may lead to permanent damage that cannot be reversed.

When major complications occur during a circumcision due to medical mistakes or negligence by doctors, nurses, or other medical personnel, it may be considered a case of medical malpractice, and you may be entitled to financial compensation for your baby’s injuries.

What Types Of Injuries Are Sustained Due To Circumcision Error?

Whether circumcision is performed to adhere to beliefs, to prevent future infections, or as a cosmetic choice, the procedure can cause serious damage if the person doing the circumcision makes a mistake. Some injuries that may result are:

  • Excessive bleeding and blood loss at the site or in the urinary tract
  • Infection of the site of the procedure, the penis, or the urinary tract, which can lead to additional complications
  • Discomfort, pain, and inflammation of the penis that results from infections
  • Meatal stenosis, a condition in which the opening of the urethra is narrowed, causing painful urination and sexual function
  • The removal of too much foreskin, which can result in deformity or damage to the penis
  • The insufficient removal of the foreskin, resulting in the need for additional procedures
  • Permanent disfigurement or the formation of unattractive scars that could potentially be a source of embarrassment in the future
  • Impotence, the inability to maintain an erection or perform sexually
  • Concealment or retraction of the penis, which affects performance and can cause emotional trauma
  • Death of penile tissue or necrosis, which in severe cases, may even result in the amputation of the penis

What Should You Do If Your Baby Suffered A Botched Circumcision?

If your baby boy’s circumcision resulted in injuries that you believe were caused by medical malpractice, you can take some critical steps to protect your son and his rights. The steps include:

  • Seek medical help for any injuries, and be sure to document the diagnosis and treatment
  • Keep copies of all medical and hospital records, making sure to list all medical professionals who were in attendance at the circumcision
  • Take photos or videos of the injuries, documenting the date and time of each
  • If your son has difficulty or pain when urinating, contact a pediatric urologist for treatment
  • Contact an experienced birth injury lawyer to evaluate your case and for guidance on how to proceed with your claim.

Do I Have A Lawsuit After A Botched Circumcision?

Whether you have the grounds for a lawsuit or not depends on the specific circumstances of your baby’s injuries. Your attorney will have to prove certain things in any medical malpractice case. First, it must be proven that the doctor or other healthcare provider did not meet the accepted standard of care while treating the patient. Medical professionals must treat patients with the same levels of skill and diligence that other professionals in the same situations would employ. If they don’t, it may be a case of medical negligence or malpractice.

Additionally, your attorney must prove that your son suffered injuries due to the doctor’s mistake or negligence. And lastly, it must be proven that those injuries caused damages (medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.). If all of those things are present, you may have a lawsuit.

Getting The Help Your Family Deserves

If your son was seriously injured due to the mistake or negligence of a medical professional during his circumcision, you must contact a birth injury attorney right away. Birth injury and medical malpractice cases are often complicated and lengthy. They require extensive legal and medical knowledge. With the guidance of a skilled lawyer, the process is much easier, and it will result in the most favorable outcome for your son and your family.

At Ross Feller Casey, our birth injury attorneys have helped families like yours with botched circumcision cases that resulted in severe injuries. Our firm has an unmatched track record of winning multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for medical malpractice cases. We also have a team of medical doctors on our staff to review medical records and help with cases.

Let one of our seasoned birth injury attorneys review your case at no cost to you. Contact our office today for an appointment for your free consultation.

Disclaimer: Ross Feller Casey, LLP provides legal advice only after an attorney-client relationship is formed. Our website is an introduction to the firm and does not create a relationship between our attorneys and clients. An attorney-client relationship is formed only after a written agreement is signed by the client and the firm. Because every case is unique, the description of awards and summary of cases successfully handled are not intended to imply or guarantee that same success in other cases. Ross Feller Casey, LLP represents catastrophically injured persons and their families in injury and wrongful death cases, providing legal representation in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.