An Illinois jury has awarded $625,000 to the estate of a man given the blood thinner heparin that was contaminated with fake ingredients sourced in China.
It was the first verdict in hundreds of lawsuits filed against Baxter International Inc. and its supplier, Scientific Protein Laboratories, after federal regulators determined in 2008 that heparin was contaminated with a nutritional supplement that mimics the real drug in routine tests for potency.
Lawyers argued that Steven Johansen of suburban Chicago received low doses of contaminated heparin in December 2007 during dialysis. He later received a higher dosage and died.
After heparin was linked to hundreds of life-threatening allergic reactions, Baxter recalled the drug.
Ross Feller Casey attorneys have proved time and time again that they succeed in the most complex and challenging product liability cases. Some notable examples include:
• $30 million recovery for a 10-year-old girl paralyzed by a defectively designed lap belt.
• $19.2 million recovery for a child born with a club foot.
• $10 million recovery for the family of a child killed by a collapsing cafeteria table.
• $10 million recovery for a workplace death caused by a defective product.
• $8 million recovery for a factory worker injured in a workplace accident.
• $8 million recovery for an ironworker injured in a workplace accident.
• $7 million recovery for a wrongful death caused by an auto defect.
• $4 million recovery for a factory worker whose arm was injured in a defective machine.
Learn more at Product Liability
Disclaimer: Ross Feller Casey, LLP provides legal advice only after an attorney-client relationship is formed. Our website is an introduction to the firm and does not create a relationship between our attorneys and clients. An attorney-client relationship is formed only after a written agreement is signed by the client and the firm. Because every case is unique, the description of awards and summary of cases successfully handled are not intended to imply or guarantee that same success in other cases. Ross Feller Casey, LLP represents catastrophically injured persons and their families in injury and wrongful death cases, providing legal representation in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.